Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Glue Sniffing in Kenya

Link to the article: http://www.africanews.com/site/list_message/34861

Even though the article I chose to write about is from 2011, I can confirm that the issue of street children sniffing glue is still as prevalent today in Kenya than ever before.  The article I chose is called "KENYA: Street Kids Sniff Glue to Survive." The article talks about how there are 300,000 street children across Kenya, and some are as young as four or five years old.  In fact, some of these children were born in the streets, while others lived in homes until they were forced into the streets.  Many native Kenyans look at street children as a hinderance to their daily life, and try very hard to avoid them.  This is because the children are often dirty, smelly, and sniffing glue.

Almost every street child in Kenya sniffs glue.  The toxic fumes are addictive, and while they provide an immediate effect to the user, they are also very harmful in the long run.  The effects of huffing glue are lack of appetite, lack of sadness, and lack of coldness - very helpful effects considering most street children are cold, sad, and hungry.  When I was in Kenya, I was surrounded by almost 20 street boys in Kisii who were all sniffing glue.  I even took some of the bottles out of the boys' hands and mouth.  When I saw five year old children sniffing glue, it really made me think about my own life and how I can help these children.  I can't even imagine being a small boy, with no parents, no home, no food, and no hope for a future, trying to merely survive on the streets where nobody cares about you.

However, seeing the street children also brought into question some other topics.  For example, what is the Kenyan government doing to help these children.  The government has set up rehabilitation centers, but they do not seem to be effective as there are still so many street children.  It makes me think that the government has left much of the work to NGO's.  This can cause a problem because most outsiders are unaware of the issue of Kenyan street children and their addiction to glue.  We have been learning in class about the problems of post-colonialism governments in Africa.  How could a government which cannot keep a budget (such as Zaire's government), a government which is so corrupt, a government which destroys infrastructure, even think about helping children in the streets? Of course, Kenyan's government is not as bad as Zaire's once was, but there are common problems throughout most sub-Saharan African governments.

In the future, I will be working in Kenya and trying to help as many street children as I can.  These kids deserve to hope, dream, and live a good life just like many of us are lucky enough to do in America.  Of course, not everyone in America is fortunate enough to live a safe life, and there are many people that live in the streets.  But the lack of action by the Kenyan government compared to the steps the American government has taken to aid the homeless, along with the young ages of Kenyan street children compared to the older age of most American homeless, make me sympathize for the Kenyan street children immensely.  That is why I cannot wait to go back to Kenya and try to fix this major problem, one street child at a time.

10 comments:

  1. I actually first read about this issue in the book Say You're One of Them (it's even on Oprah's book list) and was absolutely shocked. There is no nutritional value to the glue and kids are forced to sniff it between meals to rid them of their raging hunger. It seems appalling but at the same time, I bet there are more cases like this than I care to know about.

    My question about this problem is how it can be solved if it is so obviously prevalent throughout Kenya. Part of what I read in the book is that parents are making their kids sniff the glue, so you may not even be able to attack the situation without addressing this as well. Further, has the Kenyan government addressed the situation at all?

    Interesting story and it's one of the ones I hope I never have to hear about again- unless it is to hear that the government has called attention to the situation and is willing to help provide a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had absolutely no idea about the problem of children sniffing glue. What struck me the most about the blog was the reaction of the Kenyan people. (Not to say that children sniffing glue to forget they are hungry and sad didn't strike me.) Through other readings, plus from this class it seems pretty clear that the Kenyan people not helping these children is a lingering effect of colonialism.

    Many (if not most) African communities before the colonial powers took over were very reciprocal, or they all looked out for one another. However, with the creation of elites and unfair classes these children seem to be taking almost an Indian "untouchable" class. Being addicted to glue is just as much the society's problems as is it to the children. Also, could the government address it? Or are the children thought of as so below humanity that they can successfully ignore it?


    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassie, it was a problem I was totally unaware about until I saw it first hand. I find it a little strange that it is not more publicly known, so that is why I blogged about it. While the article did say that most Kenyans completely avoid the street children, I saw many people in Kenya who helped them as well. I became pretty good friends with a lot of street boys, and met a lot of people who were very sympathetic to their situations. However, it is so so hard for the average Kenyan to help a street child because that person is probably struggling to get by them self. How could someone who cannot afford food even think about financially helping someone else? The sad part is dinner for a street boy could cost 30 cents. Most street kids were barefoot, when sandals cost 70 cents. It just shows how poor the country is, and even though people might want to help, they just can't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been so happy that I misinterpreted something; I'm kind of relieved that I was wrong and there is some sympathy for the street children. Thank you for clearing that up, it's awesome that your telling us about this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian-

    Its great that you incorporate your experience in Kenya in bringing this issue to light. I do wonder about the relationship between NGOs and the government and which actors have the capacity to deal with this issue- something you hint at, but unfortunately, we do not have the answer to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weird idea, but what about inventing a product that serves as an alternative to glue? It could have similar therapeutic effects without the harmful longterm effects. On this note, the key to solving complex issues like this is innovation. Plucking glue out of kids hands won't solve the problem and the murky issues of poverty and lack of education surrounding the problem are hard to tackle. But when you have a unique case like this where a specific product is in question a sound solution is offering an alternative product that is actually beneficial. Maybe it could be lavender scented lotion or sage leaves or some scent with soothing effects. Obviously achieving a high is difficult but as valuable as the sensation is the cultural appeal built up around the practice. We need to think creatively about issues such as this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These children are sniffing glue in order to face cold temperatures and reduce hunger pains. This is a problem rooted in poverty, and can only be solved by addressing the causes of that poverty. A solution to this problem would involve providing food and shelter to orphaned children, rather than giving them other things to sniff on.

      Delete
  7. I am glad I found this blog. I am a kenyan, medical student, who recently decided to do a research project on glue sniffing in kenya. for starters this issue is hardly ever discussed about, its almost like kenyans are unaware that glue sniffing is actually a problem . Ofcourse, the research was more lab based, however I did have to interview street children and even buy the glue from them. The more I dicussed about this matter to people- my lecturers, fellow colleagues, doctors, and friends , the more I realised people don't exactly pay attention to this problem. Glue sniffing doesnt seem to go anywhere, every street child has a bottle in their hands at any given time and the government doesnt seem to do anything about it. The very few NGO's who are trying to do something about it, have difficulty in rehabilitating these children, especially because they dont have strong backing up from the government and other organizations.
    I have been trying to talk to people about solutions. Infact, I have been looking for details on any NGO or persons that may be interested to assist these children in any form . I would really appreciate if people had any ideas on what I could do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey friend thank you for your comment about this issue.i am personally a victim of glue sniffing.well much about me can be shared later.for now an really concerned about it very much.i am really working on how i can start up an organization to fight the problem.

      Delete